Prologue to the Performing Arts is a not-for-profit charitable organization that facilitates opportunities for young people to experience the performing arts within Ontario.
To enrich the lives of every young person through diverse and impactful performing arts experiences
To increase access to live performing arts experiences for young people
We achieve this through:
- Connecting young people and educators to the work of artists in schools and public/community venues;
- Advocating for equal access to the arts for all young people as a fundamental part of their education; and
- Collaborating with artists to present a wide range of engaging and accessible programming.
- The performing arts play a vital role in the development of healthy, creative and responsible members of a diverse society
- Exposure to the performing arts enhances the development of self-expression, critical and imaginative thinking and communication skills
- All young people and families are entitled to equal access to the performing arts
- Equity and accessibility for all young people to discover and explore the performing arts
- Diversity in all its social, cultural and geographic manifestations
- Quality in the experience, artistry and level of engagement
- Partnerships with strategically-aligned organizations and institutions
For 50 years, Prologue to the Performing Arts has been broadening the horizons of students in Ontario by introducing them to the world of the performing arts.
It all started in 1966 around a kitchen table, when five young mothers shared their dream about giving access to the best in the performing arts to ALL children in Ontario. As volunteers with different arts organizations, including Young Peoples’ Theatre, the Canadian Opera Company and The National Ballet of Canada, these dedicated women founded one of Ontario’s most important resources in Arts and Education. In that first year, Prologue placed 81 performances in Ontario schools, reaching over 24,000 students; in the second year, those numbers doubled.
50 YEARS LATER, PROLOGUE DELIVERS OVER 2,000 PERFORMANCES EACH SEASON REACHING OVER 500,000 YOUNG PEOPLE EVERY YEAR!