The Prologue Club is a student-led initiative that encourages students across Ontario to develop and utilize leadership skills through the selection and planning process of bringing performances and workshops to their schools. Through participating in a Prologue Club, students will connect with their peers and gain skills in arts management, such as budgeting, public speaking, programming, and project planning, resulting in improved leadership skills through the arts and the enrichment of their school community with performing arts experiences.
The first Prologue Club was created by Kate Cullen, a teacher at Kimberley Junior Public School in Toronto, who sought to support youth leadership and empowerment through the Arts. She said, “I would encourage any teacher who has an interest in the arts to set up their own Prologue Club. It is a powerful way to give students a voice, to teach them about various careers in the arts, it fosters self-confidence, and they have a lot of fun – as will any teacher who takes on this very worthwhile project!”
Schools selected to participate in a Prologue Club for 2023-2024 will receive the following:
- Performance/ Workshop selection: With the guidance of a lead educator, students will decide on a Prologue artist to bring to their school for a performance or workshop during the 2023-2024 school year. Each Prologue Club will receive $500 towards the cost of a Prologue performance or workshop.
- Prologue Club Toolkit: Teachers and students will receive a Prologue Club Toolkit to take them through the steps of starting a Prologue Club at their school.
- Professional Mentorship: Each Prologue Club can schedule a mentorship session with a Prologue staff member or artist to explore an area of interest, such as marketing, programming, and fundraising.
How do I start a Prologue Club at my school?
- Fill out the Prologue Club application form by Friday, February 2, 2024.
- Schools will be notified if they have been selected to participate in a Prologue Club for 2023-2024 in early February 2024 and selected schools will be sent a Prologue Club Toolkit to start their club.
- Teachers will be invited to attend a welcome and information session in February 2024.
- Prologue Clubs will run from February – June 2024. Performances must be booked through Prologue Performing Arts by the end of April but they can be scheduled to take place until June 2024.
Ways to Incorporate a Prologue Club:
- Start a Prologue Club and incorporate it into a project during class time
- Incorporate a Prologue Club into Student Council
- Incorporate a Prologue Club into an existing extracurricular, such as the Drama Club or Music Club
- Start a Prologue Club as a new extracurricular
- Teachers at any school, elementary or secondary, across Ontario are eligible to apply to start a Prologue Club at their school.
- Each Prologue Club must have a minimum of 5 students from grades 4-12.
- Selected schools must use their performance subsidy by June 2024. Subsidies cannot be carried over to the next school year.
- Proof of an active Prologue Club must be demonstrated in order to receive the performance subsidy when booking a performance.
- Priority will be given to schools that demonstrate facing barriers to accessing performing arts opportunities or need for the program within their school community.
*Please note that submitting an application does not guarantee a subsidy for a Prologue Club. All applicants will be notified if they have been accepted to start a Prologue Club at their school for the 2023/2024 school year.
Please contact Emma Pagacz, Special Projects and Sales Manager, at [email protected] if you have any questions.