Are you a professional performing artist with a passion for introducing young people to live performing arts?
The Prologue to the Performing Arts’ Program Committee is comprised of staff and board members as well as artists and educators from the broader community. The Committee reviews performances year-round and meets from October to February each year to select the roster for the following season. Decisions are finalized by late January and all performances must be previewed in front of a young audience in order to be considered.
Only submissions that are of interest to the Committee will be contacted for further information and discussion. Click here to review the roster of artists and companies we are currently touring in schools and communities across Ontario.
If you are in the process of developing work for young audiences and would like to meet with our Program Committee for guidance and feedback, please do not hesitate to contact us.
The following criteria are applied in selecting the roster:
- Artistic excellence
- Appropriate for intended audience (grade level, curriculum content)
- Unique work that adds to the diversity of Prologue’s current and future programming (art form, discipline, content and themes, intended grade-levels and curriculum connections)
- Work and company reflect the diversity of Ontario’s population and Arts community
- Work addresses topics/issues that are relevant to young audiences and educators (e.g. social justice)
- Production is accessible to schools (cost, technical requirements, availability)
- Demonstrated commitment of artist/company to Arts Education
- Performance is appropriate and adaptable for both school and family audiences
- Artist/company is available to tour outside of the Greater Toronto Area
- Available support materials and opportunities to enhance the performance (e.g. Q&A, study guides, workshops)
- Available promotion materials for artist/company and program
In addition, the artist/company must:
- Preview the performance in a school setting for the appropriate grade level
- Offer Prologue exclusive representation of the selected program(s) in Ontario schools
- If the performance is offered in French, it must also be available in English or as a bilingual presentation
If you meet the criteria, please send us the following information:
- An introduction to your company/body of work and WHY you want to offer performing arts experiences to young people with Prologue
- A description of the performance as well as music/video files or script
- A promotional kit and examples of your professional work
- Performance length (45-60 min.), technical requirements and grade levels targeted
- Current fees being charged per performance
- Teacher resource materials or curriculum connections
- A list of upcoming performances in Toronto area schools including dates, times and school contact information*
*Prologue staff and Program Committee members can assist in identifying a school in which to preview performances
All Prologue artists must submit to, and provide a cleared Vulnerable Sector Check
For more information or if you have any questions, please contact us.